May 19, 2003


Well I may be one of the last people on Earth to have done so, but I've finally joined Netflix. Strangely enough, I joined this movie rental website so that I could watch more...are you ready?...TV. We have no cable in this house and have been 99.9% TV-free since August. The remaining 0.1% is the fact that we do receive a very weak and fuzzy NBC signal. We've never watched it, however.

The specific TV shows I'm interested in are the critically acclaimed HBO series like Six Feet Under (of which I've seen only one episode) and The Sopranos (of which I've also seen only one episode--on the same night as Six Feet Under). I could have just subscribed to cable and gotten HBO, but Netflix is a much better option for several reasons. First, it's cheaper. Second, getting HBO now would mean that I'd be coming into these shows in the 4th or 5th season (whatever they're on), which means I'd have to rent the first episodes anyway. Third, Netflix is very convenient, as confirmed by the large number of people who have recommended it. Fourth, it's cheaper.

I can't say for certain how I'll like Netflix. The main issue is that I have a tendency to rent movies and then never watch them. With Netflix there's no time limit, so I fear I'll hold onto a DVD for months before returning it. I'm just not a dedicated movie watcher. But we'll give it a try and see how it works.

Posted by Shelby at May 19, 2003 10:46 AM